Yup. You can—and should!—still sign up for Hero Initiative 2012 memberships! At our highest Excelsior! level, membership even comes with a sketch of a character of your choice on a special Hero Initiative board by George Pérez or Walt Simonson.
George showed off some of his earlier. Now Walt’s deadlines have allowed him to join in.
Speaking of “join in,” you should, too!
The social event of the season will take place Jan. 21, 2012 at Tate’s Comics in Lauderhill, FL, in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area. Tate’s famous Bear and Bird Gallery will have 297 vintage DC Comics cover proofs from 1964-1974 that once belonged to legendary DC Editor Julius Schwartz. These blank-backed cover sheets were the final printer’s proofs Schwartz would review before a book would go to print. They’ve been gifted to Hero Initiative, and will be available starting Jan. 21 at $100 each.
Each proof comes with a double-swell Certificate of Authenticity as well, corresponding to its particular issue.
And as if that wasn’t enough, the second leg of our “Justice League of America 100 Project” auctions also happens on Jan. 21! A whoppin’ 35 original covers go up on the auction block! For full details including proxy bidding information if you can’t make it to Tate’s, check out our JLA hub page.
The Will and Ann Eisner Family Foundation is a great organization that has done many nice things to help Hero Initiative. Here’s one right now:
We have a limited number of promotional posters from the 2011 Will Eisner’s New York exhibit at the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art. While supplies last, if you purchase selected prints from Hero’s eBay store, we’ll kick in a FREE copy of this poster courtesy of the Foundation!
Arthur Suydam’s Zombie Scarface…
The Toronto Comic Con litho signed by Terry Moore, Matt Wagner AND Marv Wolfman…
Clayton Crain’s Robot and Girl…
The autographed Ed Hannigan Spider-Man…
…or the autographed Josh Medors Spider-Man.
Check ’em out, and thanks once again to the Will and Ann Eisner Family Foundation!
Jack Davis kindly donated this art to Hero Initiative…but even he’s not sure what it is! He thinks it might be a Time magazine piece. If anyone can ID, please let us know in the comments section here. Thanks!
And a link to a mighty ComicArtFans.com gallery with this…here!
The time is ripe to sign up for your 2012 Hero Initiative membership!
And for those of you who feel very generous, you can get a head sketch of a character of your choice by either George Pérez or Walter Simonson! One smart guy already owns the Galactus, above!
Get ’em while they’re hot, peeps!
The auction to end all auctions is up and running! Check it out, because:
a) It’s super-cool; and
b) A nice slice of the proceeds go to Hero Initiative!
Seriously. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman is auctioning off his entire studio in one fell swoop. This is one for the ages.
And make sure you make the party at Meltdown Comics on January 4, 2012 as well, huh?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman has moved his entire studio into Meltdown Comics. AND he’s gonna auction the ENTIRE thing off in one giant lot!
The KEVIN EASTMAN ART STUDIO auction will run for 10 days beginning Dec. 25th, Christmas Day, at 9:00 PM (PST). It will wrap the evening of January 4th at 9:00 PM, which will be the final night of the 35 DAYS OF KEVIN EASTMAN event at Meltdown Comics in Hollywood. Swing by for the huge blowout closing night party!
And before you do, check out this amazing video in which Kevin walks you through the studio and some of the items.
On Christmas night, you can seek out eBay merchant: oranj
They’ll be running the auction. And here are some of the highlights you’ll find contained within this treasure trove!
* Kevin’s Drawing Table and Chair (table is as it was when Kevin decided to do this auction). Includes Pens, Shotglasses, Empty Redbull Cans, etc.
* Original Illustrated Storyboards for HEAVY METAL 2000
* Highlander Animated Series: press pack, Early Cut of the Movie, Copies of entire Movie as Directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri
* Over 600 DVDs – most of them partially watched while working on art in the studio. Includes DVD deck and monitor.
* Double-Sized Production Prototype of OZZY OSBOURNE “Bark At The Moon” Action Figure sculpted by Digger T. Mesch
* Photocopy of Simon Bisley’s Lobo/Authority Pencils & Layout for the entire story
* 2 Pgs of Original Art from TNMT Movie Adaptation – 1 Featuring Twin Towers – 1 Featuring Statue of Liberty – Framed with US Flag from Kevin’s Home
* Richard Corben Original Art (at least two pieces – there may be more!)
* Signed Elizabeth Hurly Photo from Austin Powers.
* Kevin’s personal San Diego Comic Con Badges going back about 10 years
* Various Movie Posters – Comic Prints – and More . . . used to “wallpaper” the studio!
* Toy Guns, Knives and a Hand-Grenade (non-functional) used as reference for comics
* Original art portrait of Kevin by Simon “BIZ” Bisley (there’s actually quite a bit of BIZ art in here!)
* Trigun, Lain, and other favorite Anime Animation Cells
* A Fishtank (formerly held Kevin’s gecko) filled with various odds and ends tossed in over a six year period – ???
* TMNT Comic 5-Color Press Proof Overlays (from back in the days before digital press proofs)
* Box of Original Photos of Playmates & Models (mostly nude) – Photography by Julie Strain
* Turtles Car Windshield Sunblock – Still in Original Shrinkwrap
* Turtles Cereal Box (cardboard mock up – never assembled)
* TONS of random Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles goodies . . . prototypes . . . and oddities
* Original Comic Art by Various Creators
* Statues & Action Figures – – Pin-Up, Fantasy, Superhero, Turtles (natch) and more!
* Various Billiken Models From Japan (Frankenstein, Dracula, Creature, Mummy and MORE)
* LOTS OF HEAVY METAL ART . . . BOOKS . . . UNUSED TREASURES!
* and so much more . . . some of these boxes have not even been opened. Who knows what lurks inside?!
Auction starts December 25th at 9:00 PM (PST). Search KEVIN EASTMAN ART STUDIO or go to http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/oranj
Ugga. So. Hero Initiative has a self-storage locker where we store our convention setup, more paperwork than you can imagine, extra inventory on our books, etc. The storage facility has lost its lease, and I get to move 13,000 pounds of books on January 2. Brother, can you spare a back brace?
As it’s easier, weight-wise, to move ’em one at a time, we’ll help you with last-minute Christmas shopping as well. For a limited time, through Jan. 1…
• Our Wolverine 100 softcover is 50% off
• Excelsior! Stan’s Soapbox: The Collection is 50% off!
• Our Spider-Man 100 papaerback at 50% off? Yup!
• And even the Hero-exclusive Overstreet Comic Book Price guide is 20% off.
Bargains galore, peeps. Make Christmas shopping easy, and save my lumbar all at the same time.
The best of all possible Christmas gifts? Well, that would be the stellar Spider-Man print autographed by Josh Medors, Josh’s recreation of Steve Ditko’s classic Amazing Spider-Man #33 cover that ran on Roy Thomas. Alter Ego #105. Still available for tree-underin’!
But those of you looking for a more rare bird best act NOW! Of the 250 prints, a mere 50 were signed by BOTH Josh and Stan Lee. Hero’s stock is sold out, but six remain at Graham Crackers Comics. Get thee there!
And we have a mere FOUR Artist Proof editions of the 10 created, signed by both Stan and Josh. Worth a look.
Merry Christmas, lucky buyers!